- During her tenure as a Direct Calendar judge, Judge Smith tried numerous personal injury cases ranging from catastrophic injuries to injuries sustained in motor vehicle and other accidents.
- For five years, Judge Smith was one of two judges assigned to try asbestos cases filed in Alameda County. She tried over a dozen cases to verdict and managed hundreds more.
- In a bellwether trial, part of a larger coordinated matter assigned by the Judicial Council, a couple alleged that their use of a popular fertilizer resulted in their contracting non-Hodgkins lymphoma. The trial resulted in the largest personal injury award in the state of California.
- Action against tire manufacturer for strict product liability and negligence for failing to provide warnings about the danger of older tires.
- Action against an airport shuttle company for injuries sustained in transit to a local airport.
- Dispute involving whether an airline carrier was liable for the injuries of a TSA airport screener when screener carried an oversize bag.