During her years in a Complex Litigation assignment, the Chief Justice of the California Supreme Court appointed Judge Smith to manage a number of cases coordinated throughout the state as a single case. The following are examples:
• 31,000 cases nationwide filed in California in which plaintiffs sued the manufacturer of a non-surgical birth control device for various injuries. Judge Smith oversaw the case from filing to resolution.
• Over 200 cases in which the plaintiffs sued the manufacturer of a national brand of fertilizer because it failed to warn that users may develop non-Hodgkins lymphoma.
• Cases in Northern California filed on behalf of victims of clergy sex abuse.
• Cases alleging a cancer-causing ingredient in an over-the-counter medication against manufacturer and retailers.
• Cases alleging fraud by payday lending institutions.
1999 Harrison Street, Suite 1700 Oakland, California 94612
Copyright © 2023 Judge Winifred Y. Smith (Ret.) - All Rights Reserved.
DEVELOPED BY ADR SERVICES, INC.